Day 10–Friday, Jan. 14, 2011–Callao (Lima), Peru

     Callao was founded in 1537, just two years after Lima, and soon became the main port for Spanish commerce in the Pacific.  At the height of the Viceroyalty, virtually all goods produced in Peru, Bolivia, and Argentina were carried over the Andes by mule to Callao, to be shipped to Panama, carried overland, and then transported on to Spain via Cuba.

     After breakfast we headed to the Crow’s Nest for some baseball Wii.  On the way up, we had our first unique experience.  The power went out and we got stuck in the elevator!  It got dark and then the emergency lighting came on, but we did not move.  There was a female wine steward with us.  She called it in, but it was the entire ship.  It was only a minute or two before the power came back.  I am very glad we weren’t in the dark!  It was home run baseball and I had hits, but no runs.  Ray won a dollar for his home run.  It is a lot of fun to watch.  We then collected our things and took the Stern shuttle to the Marriot Hotel in Miraflores.  The traffic is horrible.  We went into the mall across the street which is built into the side of the mountain.  You can’t see it from the street.

IMG_0956 IMG_0957

     We walked around a bit and had a hard time finding the elevator.  Found it, but it didn’t go up to street level so we still had to do the stairs.  Went back over to the hotel and asked about a pharmacy.  We found one down the block and got some cough medicine – just in case.  They didn’t have prescription medicine.  The shuttle bus back to the pier stopped at the Indian Market, so we got off and walked around there.  I found a very nice T-shirt for just $8 and I didn’t even bargain.  Ray bought a hat pin to add to his collection. 

IMG_0968   IMG_0970

IMG_0969 Ice Cream Cart

When we got back to the ship we walked around the stalls that were at the pier.  We just “hung out” until dinner.

     Christine and Willy didn’t make it to dinner, as their tour got back late.  I had pot roast and Ray had pork marsala.  There was no show tonight because it is an overnight, so I went to the movies in the Queen’s Lounge and saw  Social Networking, and Ray watched TV.  They gave you little bags of popcorn in the lounge.  The movie was a little hard to get into, but I enjoyed it.

IMG_0972 Good Night!  It is so nice to go back to your bedroom and find everything nice and tidy and the covers turned down!

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: